Students at Pennsbury High School raised a total of $30,561.17 to help conquer childhood cancer.
The school’s 8th annual Mini-THON was held on Saturday, May 14 to support Four Diamonds at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital. PHS students spent six hours dancing and participating in fun activities like Name that Tune, Tug O’ War, trivia, and a Glow Hour. The students also heard testimonials from families who have received support through Four Diamonds. The day also included a raffle with items generously donated by the community.
Pennsbury’s Mini-THON leaders held various other fundraising events such as t-shirt sales and Mini-THONs at football and basketball games, “Kisses for the Cure,” and Restaurant Nights at local eateries. Quarry Hill Elementary School and Charles Boehm Middle schools also held Mini-THON’s. The money raised from those events will be added to PHS’s total.
The funds will help cover medical expenses for families that have children battling pediatric cancer and support a comprehensive team of researchers looking for a cure. Modeled after the Penn State Dance Marathon, “Four Diamonds Mini-THONs” originated in 1993 and empowers students to learn about event management and philanthropy by joining in the fight against pediatric cancer.
Four Diamonds’ mission is to conquer childhood cancer by assisting children fighting cancer at Penn State Health Children’s Hospital and their families through superior care, comprehensive support, and innovative research. Since its creation in 1972, Four Diamonds has helped nearly 4,000 children and families.
Pennsbury Mini-THON Student Committee
- Overall Chairs: Sophia Curtis (12th grade) & Lauren Dombrowski (12th grade) Art Committee Chair: Pari Lakhia (11th grade)
- Communications & Technology Committee Chair: Kat O’Brien (12th grade) Corporate Fundraising Committee Chairs: Maggie Sweitzer (12th grade) & Kieran O’Neil (12th grade)
- Entertainment Committee Chairs: Rachel Stein (11th grade) & Macey Webber (11th grade) Family Relations Committee Chair: Jamie Fenton (12th grade)
- Finance Committee Chair: Dylan Coulter (12th grade)
- Food Committee Chair: Katelyn Baik (11th grade)
- Morale Committee Chair: Darya Neil (12th grade)
- Special Events Committee Chairs: Ashley Martillotti (12th grade) & Samyu Vidala (12th grade) Faculty Advisor: Meaghan Cappelloni
Report a correction via email | Editorial standards and policies